Thursday, December 27, 2012

Yielded and Still




"Let it be to me according to thy word" (Luke 1:28). 

"When they had seen him, they spread the word concerning what had been told them about this child, and all who heard it were amazed at what the shepherds said to them. But Mary treasured up all these things and pondered them in her heart." (Luke 2:18-19)



In the midst of the excitement and visitors; the angels and the wonder, Mary pondered all that was happening.  You see this was the fruition of all that she had been promised from the beginning of her journey when the angel told her that her son "...will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High." (Luke 1:32) The world was awakening from its' spiritual slumber and beholding the miracle of her child.  


The moment had arrived and Mary stepped back and took it all in.  She slowed down and let the miracle of that moment soak in.

How often are we so caught up in the details of a special event that we forget to savor it?  I can think of times like this in my life.  For instance, I had planned  for months for my daughter's first birthday. From personalized invitations, to theme, to favors, I wanted the party to be perfect, but when it arrived I was so stressed out that I couldn't take it in. I was busy with the details and missed the moment.  Only through the pictures was I able to relish the beauty and joy of that day.  

In the coming year, let us judge wisely when to be busy and when to be yielded and still as Mary was.  May we all find that 2013 holds many moments that we take the time to truly ponder with hearts full of wonder and gratefulness.                    

Prayer: Eternal God, we thank you that Mary was yielded to your will and fully aware of the miracle of the moment.  Let us be yielded in our own lives to your calling that we might have much to ponder in years to come.


No comments:

Post a Comment