Thursday, December 6, 2012

Advent Day 5: Bedlam to Bethlehem



Advent Day 5
From Bedlam to Bethlehem


Psalm 51:10-17

"Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. 
Do not cast me from your presence or take your Holy Spirit from me. 
Restore to me the joy of your salvation 
and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me. 
Then I will teach transgressors your ways, 
so that sinners will turn back to you. 
Deliver me from the guilt of bloodshed, 
O God,you who are God my Savior, and my tongue will sing of your righteousness.
 Open my lips, Lord, and my mouth will declare your praise. 
You do not delight in sacrifice,or I would bring it;
you do not take pleasure in burnt offerings.
 My sacrifice, O God, is a broken spirit; 
a broken and contrite heart you, God, will not despise."

“St. Mary’s of Bethlehem was the name of a London hospital for the mentally disturbed.  Over the years, its name was shortened to “Bedlam,” From which we get our word.  In our day the Bedlam Hospital has become a museum for the British Military.  We have traveled from Bethlehem to Bedlam; from peace to war, from love to terror, from singing to shouting.

Our society has moved from Bethlehem to Bedlam and the Advent season provided the opportunity for us to find our way back.  We need to ask, in the midst of our darkness is there someone who can turn on the lights?  In the midst of our horror can we find joy?  In the midst of disharmony is there a song?”*

Refocusing on the story of our Savior; of his humble beginnings and his promise of salvation from the “bedlam” that life can bring and that we bring ourselves is a wonderful place to start.  May we return from Bedlam to Bethlehem.  May we find the joy of our salvation this Advent.

Prayer: We return to you Lord with contrite hearts earnestly seeking a return to you, the joy of our salvation.  Bring us back dear God from Bedlam to Bethlehem.

*Tom Graves

No comments:

Post a Comment