Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Advent Day 18: Encouraged by Service




1 Thessalonians 3:6-13: Timothy’s Encouraging Report

“6 But now that Timothy has come to us from you, and has brought us the good news of your faith and love and reported that you always remember us kindly and long to see us, as we long to see you— 7 for this reason, brothers,in all our distress and affliction we have been comforted about you through your faith. 8 For now we live, if you are standing fast in the Lord. 9 For what thanksgiving can we return to God for you, for all the joy that we feel for your sake before our God, 10 as we pray most earnestly night and day that we may see you face to face and supply what is lacking in your faith? 11 Now may our God and Father himself, and our Lord Jesus, direct our way to you, 12 and may the Lord make you increase and abound in love for one another and for all, as we do for you, 13 so that he may establish your hearts blameless in holiness before our God and Father, at the coming of our Lord Jesus with all his saints.”


I love our church Christmas mailbox.  It brings such excitement to find my family’s name on cards each Sunday.  It is like an early Christmas present.  I think the reason that I get so excited is that each card is a word of encouragement and love in some way.  It’s a way to say, “Christmas is coming and I care about you my friend.”  Whether the giver writes a very personal note or simply takes the time to sign the card, I feel loved.  

In this scripture Paul receives a great deal of encouragement from Timothy’s report that his fellow believers in Thessalonica are standing strong and doing great things in God’s name.  He took joy in their service.

Now obviously I could, as Paul says, “exhort” you to do encouraging things for others.  Write more cards, visit more shut-ins, be a Timothy to someone!  But that is not where this scripture leads me.  It leads me to be thankful for the service of others.  For the card writers, and the Sunday breakfast cookers and the women and men who make feeding children, senior citizens, the bereaved, the recuperating and Wednesday night church-goers their ministry.  

I am thankful that someone does our annual report for the church and I don’t have to.  I am inspired by youth who spend time out of their weekends and vacations serving God in many ways.  I am re-energized by caring Adult and Children’s Sunday School and AWANA teachers and by parents who bring their children to church on Sunday and Wednesdays.  

I am grateful when I think about the teams of people who have come together to make beautiful church renovations happen and for the creative crew coming together now to make our future pastor’s office a beautiful and welcoming space. I am in awe of our A.V. team that works in the background so that God’s message and praises may be seen and heard every Sunday.

And my heart is full when I think of the volunteers who took a huge leap of faith in helping to start Upwards Sports in our area.  These are just a few people whose service should be an encouragement to us all.  I know you are thinking of at least ten ministries that happen in Antioch and so many other surrounding churches that I have left out...which is kind of awesome.  

Christmas can be a time to focus on shortcomings of ourselves and others, of budget woes, loss, and loneliness, and we all have some of those stresses for sure, but what if we chose to be like Paul and find our joy in God’s gift of his son Jesus, and the life of service that He inspires in so many?  It would totally transform us I think!

This Christmas, find joy in others and the good things God is doing for the Kingdom through their lives and yours.

Prayer: Eternal God, may we all find joy and encouragement this Christmas in the lives of service that are lived by so many.  Thank you for the gifts and talents that you have given us all that You might be lifted up through your people.  Most of all, thank you for Jesus who was the perfect model of self-sacrifice and service for all humankind. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment